How to determine if a mobile number is on the Verizon network
Need to find out if a mobile number is considered in-network for Verizon? There’s a page on Verizon’s site that let’s you find out easily and quickly: Determine if a mobile number is in the Verizon Wireless Mobile to Mobile Calling Family.
My wife and I are starting to send more text messages as more and more friends and family prefer them to phone calls (why I don’t know–in most cases I’d gladly take a 3 minute phone call over 45 minutes of text messages back and forth). At any rate, my wife was starting to exceed her 250 message/month plan regularly, so I called to see what other options we could choose. Verizon has a new plan that’s only $10/month that includes unlimited in-network text messages and 500 out-of-network messages. That seems like a good option for us since most of the people we know are in-network (at least they are since Verizon bought Alltel).
Now the question is, how can we tell who is in-network and who is out-of-network if we don’t know? I posed that question to Jared, the Verizon customer service representative who helped me switch to the new text messaging plan. Jared led me on what seemed like a round-about way of finding the online tool for answering this question, but we got there. I hope this helps someone else save some time:
- Start at the main Verizon Wireless homepage.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page where there are BLUE text links.
- Look for the one named “Best Network” and click on it. (it’s current on the top line of links, close to the center of the page)
- Scroll to the bottom of the page where there are BLACK text links.
- Look for the one named “Best Network” and click on it. (it’s current on the top line of links, on the right side of the page)
- The page that loads features (currently) a picture of a young man holding a phone just to the left of a coverage map of the US. Just above his head is a “Mobile to Mobile Calling” link. Click on it.
- This page features a picture of a family, all using their mobile phones (of course). In the left-hand column below the picture is the heading “Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling.” Click the “Find Out Now” button at the bottom of that column.
- A dialog box pops up and allows you to enter up to three mobile numbers. Clicking the Submit button at the bottom of the window will return a page indicating the in- or out-of-network status for each number you entered.
Here’s the direct link again, for convenience: Determine if a mobile number is in the Verizon Wireless Mobile to Mobile Calling Family.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged text messages, verizon.
2 thoughts on “How to determine if a mobile number is on the Verizon network”
December 27, 2010 at 1:15 pm
Thank you, so much, for this post.
July 7, 2012 at 11:40 am